Monday, June 13, 2011

5 Minutes Per

5 minutes per...marathon.

5 minutes is roughly the amount of time I seem to shave off of each marathon I run.  I just finished running my 4th marathon on Saturday!  I keep signing up for them hoping I will *one day* break 3 hours.  If my current trend continues, I only need to run 2 more before I do it!

St. George - 3:18
Washington D.C. - 3:12
Utah Valley - 3:07.27


(I like to think Boston was a bit of an outlier at 3:20...let's just forget that one...)

My stats for the Utah Valley Marathon:

Time - 3:07.27
Average Minute/Mile - 7:09
Place - 60th out of 1635
Female Place - 6th out of 757 (And...Kassi Harmon was the first female finisher with a 2:49.17! Nice work!)

I really felt great during this race!  I didn't notice any serious pain until about mile 16.  Then, I remember thinking "Ugh...10 more miles?!"  When you are facing 10 more long miles, that negative little thought becomes hard to ignore.  I replaced it with "Quebe, you are the Energizer Bunny!  YOU CAN'T STOP!"

(And yes.  To all my former teammates, I did say this phrase out loud and on repeat.  Absolutely I did.)

The problems for me came at mile 22, where my stomach decided not to cooperate.  At all.  Thank goodness  I completed the race with no scary details that need sparing on the public blog-o-sphere.  I did, however, have to stop 3 times in the last 2 miles just to keep myself...intact.

At the end of the race, a former teammate swiftly taught me a much needed marathon lesson when she said, "Wait, you didn't take an Imodium before the race?!  You always take an imodium!"

Lesson learned.

Don had to work during the race :( , but he did take these lovely reenactment photos of me once he got home.



Boston, I will conquer 3 hours when I arrive.

14 comments:

Becca Jane said...

You are seriously awesome. I am in awe!! I've always wanted to be a runner, but 2-3 miles is all I can ever get myself up to. My aunt just ran her first marathon in her 50's! It was an exciting journey to watch.

Sad you're moving...we will miss you!

Erin Masi said...

Congrats!!!! I am running my first marathon ever this weekend! Eeeek! Any last minute tips?!?

Coopers said...

Wow! Nice work! I don't know if I will ever run one...my shines don't do very well after having stress fractures in them in high school. I would probably fall apart. I am way impressed! Good luck with the 3 hour mark!!
That is a new phrase. Glad it worked! :)

Bekah said...

LADY!!!!! Do you want to run the wasatch back this weekend????? Your legs would be 6.1, 8.1 and 3.1. I would do it, but I am moving this weekend. If so, let me know. You have my number, but here it is just in case 503-779-3498. Maybe you can't, but I know my friend's team would sure appreciate it.

Russell Shaffer said...

I can't believe I forgot to text you a "good luck" on Saturday! I was thinking about it all day Friday. Glad to hear it went so well. Next time you run in Boston, I will for sure be there!

Jenna T said...

THAT'S AMAZING! congrats quebes! So fast! And I love love love the positive self talk. I will NEVER forget "Go Quebe, Go Quebe, Go Quebe, Go Quebe, Go Quebe" during workouts.

Shauna said...

wow, you are amazing! congrats!!

Philip said...

Awesome! =)

chelsea mckell said...

Yay! Great job Quebes! That's so awesome. What's the next marathon? That 3-hour mark is killer. Once I did a marathon in 3 hours, 30 seconds. I'm still having a hard time getting over that. I'll do another someday when I can get in sub-3hr shape again. I've heard you take your half-marathon time, double it, and add ten minutes.
Oh yeah - and the immodium - I take one even before half marathons! And carb-load on white bread and other fiber-less food. Coach Shane told me a story about helping an athlete wrap herself up in a towel after winning a marathon...which she chose to do, instead of stopping to take care of business...and won $15,000.

Anyways, I'll stop leaving a marathon-length comment :)

Lyndsy said...

I am so proud of you!! 3 hours for sure next time....AND I literally laugh out loud when I read this because I was thinking..I bet she really said that out loud...cue next paragraph and you really did chant to yourself...glad to hear some things never change!!

Laura said...

Dang Quebe. You are insanely fast. I can't imagine...maybe some day I will break 3:20 :) I will come cheer for you at Boston and watch you go under 3 :)

Also, ummmm that is an AMAZING tip on the Imodium. I spent several minutes of Boston in the portapotty and I never even thought that there's a way to avoid all that business :)

Erin said...

youre my hero, runner buddy! miss you xo

wendy said...

Great job Quebe! I saw you running!! And you looked pretty darn stellar. I am so proud. :)

Marissa said...

I love this! Congrats! I also love that you totally stayed in your spandex post race just for good measure - now that's the Quebes I know. Good work on the latest marathon and the PR! I'm so excited for you to break 3 and to celebrate with you the next time you are on the East Coast.