Last Saturday night, Don and I got tickets to go watch the New Balance Indoor Grand Prix track & field meet.
I was so so excited for this, because I knew that there would be some big names that I recognized. When we finally got there and the elite races began, I was overwhelmed with the realization that this meet was stacked. There were so many elite athletes there...from WR holders, to Olympic Medalists, to NCAA Champions, to AR holders, etc. etc.
I was starstruck!
For my fellow runner teammates out there, most of you ran with some of these women, so you probably aren't starstruck. I even ran in a couple of meets with Jenny Simpson (Barringer was her maiden name back in the day) during my BYU days. I actually googled some results of when we were at the same meet (Yeah, I was never actually in the same heat as her...just the same meet...). The results are quite entertaining:
2008 Pre-Nationals, Terra Haute, Indiana:
1st Place, White Race - Jennifer Barringer, 19:48 6k
36th Place, Open Race - Carolyn Quebe, 22:25 6k
I'm only 2 and a half minutes behind! Huzzah!
These days she's one of the fastest women in the world, so I still cried when she was 5 feet away from me.
Here is a short list of the some of the amazing runners we got to watch:
Ladies:
Morgan Uceny: 2012 Olympian 1,500 M
Mary Cain: High School Prodigy. Google her.
Emma Coburn: 2012 Olympian 3,000 M Steeple/AR in 3,000 M Steeple
Jenny Simpson: 2008 Olympian 3,000 M Steeple/2012 Olympian 1,500 M/2011 World Champion 1,500 M/Multiple AR
Sally Kipyego: 2012 Olympic Silver Medalist 10,000 M
Gents:
Matthew Centrowitz: 2012 Olympian 1,500 M
Nick Willis: 2008 Olympic Silver Medalist 1,500 M
Dejen Gebremeskel: 2012 Olympic Silver Medalist 5,000 M
Here are some of the pictures from the meet:
{Matthew Centrowitz}
{Morgan Uceny}
{Mary Cain, Morgan Uceny}
{Mary Cain, Morgan Uceny}
{Emma Coburn, Sally Kipyego}
{Sally Kipyego, Emma Coburn}
{Jenny Simpson}
{Jenny Simpson overtaking her pacer...it didn't take long for her to finally just go around her}
This was such an amazing experience for me. I'm still thinking about it a week later!
Conclusion: Running is good for my soul.
3 comments:
So cool! I wish I had been there. Amazing pictures.
So awesome! I am terrible with who's who, but I would have had some major nostalgia for being fit & speedy. I don't need/want to be as nutso fit as some of these top ladies look, but man, I could go for the fast, toned, lean look again
That is SO COOL Quebe! I would totally be geeking out. And pretty sure I was behind you or around you at that Pre-Nationals. :) You got some really awesome pictures! Way to go! And sorry for the late comment, I'm catching up on your blog. :)
Post a Comment