Auggie is five! This last year has been an absolute whirlwind...we blinked and Auggie grew up. Up and up and up. In the last year Auggie started a new preschool, began reading and writing, learned to ride his pedal bike, started swim lessons, mastered coloring and drawing, figured out Lego instructions, moved from the bunny hill to the big ski lifts, and completed his first official soccer season! Watching him learn, grow, and try new things has been one of the most rewarding things Don and I have ever been a part of.
{The Green Dragons, named by Auggie after his favorite sushi roll...teehee.}
{Washington County Community Center Preschool, Ms. Shelly's Class}
{Harry Potter Birthday Party!}
{Potion Making}
It wouldn't be an Auggie blog without talking about his deep love of chapter books, scary stories, and any story these days. He went through several phases of loving different characters...first superheroes, then Star Wars, and now Harry Potter. As a very devoted Marvel comic fan, our friend Heather kickstarted Auggie's love of superheroes. He went all in and immediately fell in love with Hulk and Spiderman. By default, Owen fell in love with Captain America (who he adorably called "Cap Mers" for the longest time...swoon!).
Auggie never lost interest in superheroes, per se, but they were quickly eclipsed by his discovery of Star Wars. He was beyond excited to be Darth Vader for Halloween last year and asked so many questions that he knows more about the movies than most adults do! Frequent were our conversations about how light sabers are created, what effect each different kyber crystal has on the light saber it creates, how only Jedis can create light sabers, and that Mace Windu is the only Jedi to ever have a purple light saber, etc. etc. etc. Auggie is so smart and is truly one of the most inquisitive kids I've ever known. He loves asking questions, and we absolutely love his brilliant little mind!
Most recently, Auggie has moved on to Harry Potter. I'm a big Harry Potter fan, so we decided to start reading him just a little bit to see if he would be interested. Interested...ha! He was mesmerized! Of course, we edited a lot, but he wouldn't let us put the first book down! Thus began his love of both Harry Potter and chapter books. We are now solidly living in what I call Auggie's "Harry Potter Era". All things Harry Potter, all the time. Admittedly, this made for a super fun October where we all dressed up HP for days and had one big Harry Potter-birthday-Halloween-extravaganza!
{Happy Helper show-and-tell at preschool!}
I don't think anything makes Auggie happier right now than a Harry Potter Lego. The combo cannot be beat!
List of chapter books we've read with Auggie:
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- Charlotte's Web
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
If I had to use one word to describe Auggie this last year, I would use the word brave. Auggie has faced a lot a lot a lot of new and terrifying (for him!) things this year. Despite feeling very scared and afraid, and despite many tears, he still faced them. Most of his accomplishments did not come easily for him, and we are beyond proud that he never gave up.
We love you, Auggie!!
Funny Auggie quotes/words from last year:
- Babies "hatch" instead of babies being "born"
- The OG Owen Grey stories turned into Auggie Grey stories
- "Look mom...I'm part runner, part church, part sumo wrestler!" (wearing running shoes, church pants, and no shirt)
- "After 3, I'll only have 3 left! No, after 3, you'll have 2 left. No, mom, not in this instance. I'll show you!"
- In primary, Auggie shared a story about leprechauns: "I set up a clancher and clanched the leprechaun. Then I ground him into meat and I ate him! I was the only one in primary who caught a leprechaun!"
- Scary Stories: Every night the kids beg Don to tell them "scary stories". They aren't actually scary, but the kids love them. They always start with "Dad and Auggie and Owen were walking home from work..." Mom is never allowed to be in the stories :)
- "Sometimes I don't like to do things I don't like to do, but I always say yes to toys"
- "I'm about to poop, and then the next words I'm going to say are 'I need help wiping!', okay?"
- Prayers: "Toys and playing and books and reading"
- "bath-tized" instead of baptised.













No comments:
Post a Comment