Tuesday, June 5, 2012

2 Years.

Sunday was our two. year. anniversary.  What?!  Where did the time go?!  We celebrated all weekend long with lots of activities and food.   Well, mainly with food.

Originally, I had asked Don to "surprise me with a trip!" somewhere.  I was really excited to have the weekend off, and I couldn't wait to find out where we were going.

Enter...rainy, cold, terrible - no good - weather.  :(  Don had planned an awesome day trip to the beaches of Cape Cod, complete with tennis and ice cream.  I did have a minor breakdown when the weather didn't cooperate.  However, Don pulled through and had some great ideas for a back up plan.

On Friday night, we got dressed up, and Don took me to a Spanish tapas restaurant that we have both been wanting to try for several months now.  The restaurant is called "Tasca", and you can find it here.  While Don opted for Calamari and Stuffed Eggplant, my two choices were Filet Mignon and Chicken Croquettes.  We highly recommend it!

Chicken Croquettes...yes, please.


On Saturday, we were supposed to go to Cape Cod.  But thanks to the weather, we had to change plans.  As a plan B, Don did some research about the Brookline Food & Art Festival that he had heard about at work.  After a morning at the gym together, we hopped on the subway and arrived in Brookline.


We both agreed that the food portion of the festival was the coolest!  We paid $2 per "ticket", and each ticket gets you a taster from any booth you choose.  Between the two of us, we sampled falafel, chicken and rice (I didn't realize the chicken and rice booth was set up by the employees from the old folks home...it was definitely served cafeteria style...), smoothies, lemon pound cake, braised oxtail, pork belly, and of course, I sampled a cupcake.

The falafel man.


Don, patiently waiting for his steak.


Pork belly and braised oxtail.  I wasn't so sure about the pork belly...


My cupcake.  Of this, I am completely sure.


We really enjoyed the Art Festival because there were so many creative artists.  There were a lot of very unique ideas.  Take the wax lady, for example.  She cuts up her drawings into pieces, and then covers them in various layers of wax to add depth.

So cool.


Another example is the fish lady.  She makes "fish prints".  She literally paints a fish, and imprints the painted fish onto paper.  It sounds so weird, but the prints are really beautiful.  My favorite are her Holiday Fish Prints.

This little guy is "Rudolph Cod".  You should probably check out "Santa Fish" and "Holly Fish"...they are equally as endearing.  You can see the fish lady's art here.  (Doesn't Rudolph Cod seem reminiscent of The Grinch?!)


On the subway ride home.


When we got home, Don took a little nap, while I *of course* researched ice cream shops. I'm not at all embarrassed that our weekend revolved around food.  We like food.

Since we didn't get to go on our day trip, I still wanted to have some sort of "trip" outside the city.  The 3 criteria for my ice cream shop decision were portion size, price, and taste.  I finally decided on Bedford Farms Ice Cream.  It is located in Concord, so it was the perfect driving distance for a pseudo road trip!  (Don might argue that statement.  He and road trips don't get along.  Well, especially when we don't have directions...and especially when our GPS won't work because it's pouring outside...oops)

But arrive in Concord we most certainly did!  The ice cream was great, and we really had a good time.




And then on Sunday, I surprised Don with a yummy roast, some Martinelli's, and a new wedding ring! (He lost his ring about a month ago.  However, if you will remember, I forgot to get him a ring for our wedding day...BIG fail.  So, I felt a wee bit obligated to find him a new ring for our anniversary.)

Back to food.  Dinner was excellent.  

First bite - Don.


First bite - Carolyn.


Roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas, carrots, celery, and onions.  Um, yum.


After dinner, we went on a lovely walk through the Arnold Arboretum, and took the second slew of pictures for our tree project!  Just in case you forgot, this is what we are working on.

Last, but not least, I present my anniversary tribute to Don:

Since it is our 2nd anniversary, I feel it's only appropriate to shower Don with compliments not one at a time, but in pairs:

Don is handsome, & I love his glasses.
Don is smart, & he works really hard.
Don is a doctor, & he could save your life.
Don is cool, & people like him.
Don is thoughtful, & he tries to make me happy.
Don is athletic, & he likes to play sports.
Don is introspective, & he tries to improve.
Don is supportive, & he takes pictures of trees with me.
Don is clean, & he does household chores.
Don is good, & he has a solid testimony.
Don is kind, & he doesn't gossip.
Don is competitive, & he doesn't give up.
Don is a great husband, he will be a great father.
Don is healthy, but...he still eats ice cream with me!!

Happy Anniversary Don!

I <3 you!

2 comments:

Coopers said...

I swear it rains or is cold whenever we actually plan something to do!
But it looks like you had some fun anyways. Happy 2 years!
I had to laugh when I saw the picture of the food. I'm guessing it was Don's plate. I remember you not liking food touching. Have you changed on me? :) Btw it looked delicious!!

Jenna said...

very sweet! congrats!
you forgot his ring? that's funny - I forgot to bring ty's ring to the temple ceremony & ended up wearing on my own hand out of the temple & slipped it on him sometime in the middle of pictures - so there are a few pics with me in his ring. It was one of those things people just didn't remind me about!
love all the amazing new things you are always doing!!!