Last week, the city of Boston welcomed the Wojo's to town. Drew and Noelle stayed with us for several days during their vacation, and it was so fun to have them visit.
While they were here, we paraded around the city in true tourist fashion.
We went on a Duck Tour!
Everybody always says, "If you ever go to Boston, you have to go on a Duck Tour". And...nobody who lives in Boston ever does. Well, the Wojo's presented me with the option, and I jumped at the opportunity. I was thrilled to go, and the DT was every bit as interesting as I had anticipated.
I will echo the popular sentiment and add my testimony, "If you ever come to Boston, you have to go on a Duck Tour".
I took the next picture during the water portion of our Duck Tour.
Black and white photo edit = Boston circa 1930.
Fun Duck Tour Fact #1: There is a small section of the Berlin Wall just hanging out in front of some random building in Boston. Who knew?!
The Duck knew.
For lunch, we had the tastiest grilled cheese sandwich ever . Thank you Roxy's food truck.
Fun Duck Tour Fact #2: Apparently, there is a tiny little unknown Unitarian Universalist church that is home to twenty Tiffany stained glass windows. I was shocked at the realization that nobody knows this place even exists.
You are probably wondering why this shocks me so much. Do you know how cool Tiffany stained glass is? Let me explain how cool it is in one fantastically long run-on sentence:
Remember that time two years ago when there was a Tiffany glass exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, and there were only like *five* pieces in the whole exhibit, and you couldn't get remotely close to them because they were guarded and roped off and kept far away from everybody to keep them safe, and the exhibit was publicized and important, and it attracted wildly large crowds for weeks?
Well. The twenty stunning windows that decorate this small church are virtually unknown to the public. We walked into the church and asked the lone man at the desk if we could see the Tiffany windows in his church. He said, "sure!" and led us up the stairs. There he left us, unguided and unsupervised to experience the Tiffany glass all to ourselves. The windows were completely unprotected, and I saw each one up close and personal.
Thank you Duck Tour for this hidden gem.
At the end of the week, we took a tour of the U.S.S. Constitution.
For those who don't remember their 7th grade U.S. History...the U.S.S. Constitution was the famous battleship that fought in the War of 1812. Affectionately nicknamed, "Old Ironsides", it was constructed using a particular oak that is native only to certain parts of the United States. As it turned out, this wood was also denser than other woods used in the construction of the enemy battleships. Because of this advantage, Old Ironsides held up through many a battle on the water, and quickly earned its nickname.
Lots-o-rope.
Don and I decided that we wouldn't want to have been a sailor back in the day. Unless we were captains.
We ended our tourist-ing with a quick visit to Charlestown and Bunker Hill.
"Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes!"
We will always enjoy exploring Boston with the Wojo's.
Come again soon!
3 comments:
Those windows are gorgeous! I can't wait to see them. Love you, Mom (P.S. You are gorgeous, too!)
looks like i need to come & do a duck tour sometime when you are up there!
You can now say you touched a reach Tiffany stained glass! (Yes, I know you touched it, shhhh I won't tell!)
Thank you so much for hosting us. We had so much fun and I'm so glad we could spend time with you and Don. I miss our conversations as couples! Thank you again for making our Boston experience wonderful!
Post a Comment