So, one Sunday night we decided to take a walk and see what everybody was talking about. Needless to say, it was a spectacle that was entirely worthy of all the hype.
{Can you see Don?!}
The piece is officially titled, "As If It Were Already Here", by an artist named Janet Echelman. I looked her up online, and it seems that she has actually installed these pieces in different locations all over the world. Although every piece is unique to its city, they are all similar in that they are aerial sculptures made out of knotted rope with colored LED lighting. The coolest part is that the sculpture moves with the wind, and the LED lights change colors by the minute!
In every sculpture she creates, she puts a bit of the city's history into what it looks like. For example, in the Boston installation, each stripe of color is supposed to represent the six lanes of traffic from the highway that previously cut through the city, before it was converted into the Greenway park.
Looking at the pictures now, I still can't get over how they just secured it from building to building, in the middle of a huge city. Wow. I LOVE art like this, and I'm excited to report that I've never seen anything like it!
No comments:
Post a Comment