Sweet baby Owen! He is our 2020 baby.
As I neared the end of pregnancy, I just knew that this kid was supposed to be born in 2020. It was the year that rocked everybody's world, ours included. My pregnancy was rough, switching jobs was not fun, and moving during the Covid pandemic was just crazy...but our little bb was a source of hope and a much-needed constant throughout the year. I felt like Owen was just meant to be a part of it all.
{one day before induction}
Because of the difficult experience I'd had with Auggie's birth and recovery, I was beyond terrified of how things would go this time around. But thank the heavens Owen's birth was so easy! And my recovery was so painless! I just couldn't even believe how very, very different my two baby experiences were.
This time around, we decided to schedule an induction for around 39 weeks. I could tell that Owen was bigger than Auggie, and the fear of delivering a nine pound baby made the decision pretty easy. When we initially scheduled the induction, they didn't have anything available until only four days before Owen's due date. I was bummed, but I still had hope. I told myself if 2020 was meant to be, it would happen. At my next appointment on December 30th, I asked the nurse if there were any earlier inductions available due to cancellations. Holding my breathe, crossing my fingers, and saying a quick prayer as she glanced at the computer, she turned around with a surprised look and said, "Actually, there was a cancellation for tomorrow. I can add you on if you'd like?"
YES! Yes! Add me on! Yes! Although there was still a chance I could get bumped for an emergent delivery, the chances were looking good that we would indeed get our wish for a 2020 New Year's Eve bundle of joy. No pressure Quebes, but ya gotta deliver bb before midnight. The hospital called us early the next morning with a bed ready, and we got there at 7 am. So the birth story begins!
{at the hospital}
I assumed Owen's birth would go quickly because he had been putting so much pressure on me the last few weeks of pregnancy. Not only that, but I was dilated to 4cm at my most recent appointment. All signs pointed to quick and easy. Although delivery was easy, it wasn't quick.
They started me on Pitocin when I arrived, but for whatever reason my body was stuck at 5cm for hoooooouurs. I had a good epidural, so it wasn't painful. But my body had trouble regulating itself. Every time I increased the drip of my epidural, my blood pressure would crash and I would almost lose consciousness. They had to stabilize me a handful of times. Also, every time they increased my Pitocin drip, Owen's heart rate would start beating too rapidly. They had to take me off Pitocin a couple times to let Owen settle down a bit too. This is probably why I didn't progress very quickly. We were doing quite a dance to keep both me and the baby stable through the process. Finally, in the late afternoon, my body starting responding normally to all the medications.
My epidural this time was waaaaay more effective than the one I had with Auggie. I didn't even realize how much I wasn't supposed to feel last time. While I was sitting in that hospital bed, I was one hundred percent-absolutely-completely paralyzed from the waist down. I couldn't feel a thing. It's a very odd sensation, and to be honest, I hated it. Of course, when the time came to deliver I was very happy to be that numb.
A little after 6pm the doctor came in and told me the baby's head was right there. I had no idea...cause' I couldn't feel a thing. I remember thinking to myself that I wasn't going to push very hard no matter what they told me because I didn't want to tear this time around. So when they told me to push, I faked it and just pretended I was trying my hardest :) :) :) In my head I was going slow and steady. And it worked! I think I pushed maybe three times and Owen was out. It was all just so perfect.
{masks with our 2020 bb}

And yes, Owen would've been a big baby if I had waited for him to come out on his own. Good choice on the induction! He was born exactly one week early.
12/31/20
6:33pm
8lbs
20.5 inches
I still felt woozy for a while after the birth but came around pretty quickly with no major scares. That night, Don and I celebrated our happiest New Year's Eve yet, in the hospital with a beautiful baby and a Sprite cheers.
2021 is looking bright.
No comments:
Post a Comment