Friday, July 9, 2021

Owen's firsts.

We are waiting so patiently as we watch little O's personality start to show, just wondering what he is going to be like?!  It's interesting with the second kid though.  Because of the first one, you kind of already have a roadmap of expectations.  It's hard not to have preconceived notions of what the next baby will be like, could be like, should be like...but already, we've seen quite a few differences between Owen and Auggie.  Not comparisons, to be clear, but differences.  I wonder if Owen will grow out of, or into his contemplative intensity?  Will he always be a quiet observer and always not like being alone?  Will he still be snuggly at two?  That's the fun part though, just watching them grow.

Speaking of growing.  Owen is a lot bigger than Auggie ever was.  Last week, we took him to his 6 month check-up, and he was in the 85% percentile for length, weighing a big 18 pounds.  Whoa, kid!  I just opened the box of clothes that Auggie wore when he was two years old, and well, they fit Owen just fine.  At 6 months old, he's already army crawling and scooting wherever he wants to go.  

So here are some firsts (and some things to remember!) to make sure we never forget where he began.

{bouncer kicks}  
When Auggie was little, he would sit in the bouncer doing these light, fast, energetic kicks....kick kick kickity kick kick kick!  I assumed Owen would be the same, but no no.  One of my favorite baby Owen moments is the first time he figured out how to kick the bouncer.  I was with Auggie in the other room when all of the sudden I heard a deep, loud, slow drumbeat...thunk.  thunk.  thunk.  thunk.  For a couple minutes, I couldn't figure out what it was because the noise was uncharacteristically loud.  I just started laughing when I saw that it was just Owen in the bouncer, slowly and methodically kicking with deliberate blows.  

He does the same thing in the crib, kicking the sides like a giant.  We know when Owen is awake not because he cries, but because it sounds like the house is coming down.  Whenever we hear a low rumble of thuds from the nursery, nap time is over.

{first "O" face}
{first stroller walk}
{first cheesy grin}
{first nap with Mimi...a baby tradition!}
{first bath}
{clothes changing}
We can't forget the changing clothes thing.  Whenever we dress Owen with clothing that goes over his head, it makes him so happy.  He anticipates the onesie about to cover his head and he just starts grinning.  And then when the onesie is around his forehead, well that's just another level of fun!  He doesn't like getting dressed otherwise, but those overhead changes just make his day.

No comments: