Back in December, my foot started randomly hurting on a couple of my runs. I didn't think too much of it, but then a couple days later, the pain escalated really quickly. I limped home on my last run, and my foot had a nice lil' bump on it. Looooook at this bump 😮.
An MRI showed that I had a partial peroneal tendon tear. I have never had a tendon injury before. Little did I realize that tendon injuries are even worse than stress fractures in terms of recovery! Oof. I always thought that stress fractures were the thing runners feared the most...but now that I've been through both, I'd take a stress fracture any day.
The problem is, tendons don't get any blood supply, so they are known for not healing. Ugh. We tried a PRP shot in December and hoped for the best. I wore a boot for the week after the shot, then a soft brace for the next couple of months. I stayed completely off of it for those two months and did nothing but take care of the kids.
I spent the third month cycling (borrowed all of Don's awesome gear!) which was truly a saving grace. Finally, the pain subsided. By the beginning of the fourth month, I was ready to try running again.
My last run was December 15th, and now it's the last week in May. I've been steadily increasing my mileage hoping to get to forty by next week! We were so worried that I would need surgery that I actually scheduled it for the beginning of June. But so far, so good. I haven't had any pain, and I'm cancelling the surgery this week. Hallelujah!
I don't know how my tendon will hold up long-term, or for intensity, but for now I'm thrilled. It must have done some sort of scarring to be pain-free with mileage. Aaaaaand in the midst of all of this, I got pregnant and had a miscarriage (more on that later), so at this point...I'm really done with all the trauma, and I'm just ready to get out there and run fast again.




No comments:
Post a Comment