Saturday, January 24, 2026

Virginia Ann Williams

On October 19th, 2025, our little Ginny baby finally joined our family!  It sure took us a long time to get her here, and we are so so happy she made it safe and sound.  She is beautiful and absolutely perfect!!!

{Virginia Ann Williams, 6 lbs 12 oz}

We really do feel lucky that she arrived safely because the birth was traumatic, yet again.  Why do I always feel like I'm going to die when I give birth?!  My body just does not handle it well.  Her due date was October 25th, so we scheduled an induction on the 19th.  I really wanted to wait and see if she would come naturally, but in the end, my resolve failed me.  I was also a little worried because statistically, a higher maternal age also increases the chances of stillbirth the later the pregnancy goes.  There was an element of anxiety with this pregnancy that I didn't feel with my other two.  I think it was just the amount of time, effort, loss, physical and emotional pain, etc., that it took to get us to this point....I felt extremely worried that something was going to go wrong.  I went into every ultrasound with my heart pounding, hoping and praying that everything was normal.  

So.  October 19th, 7 a.m. hospital arrival.  The boys had their primary program that day, which I was so sad to miss, but thankfully I could stream it from the hospital.  After I got settled with my petocin drip, Don left to go watch them and came back a few hours later.  Auggie was particularly nervous without me there, but both kids nailed it!  

I had also imagined a natural birth, but my resolve failed me again.  I asked for the epidural fairly early on.  I was anxious about getting the epidural this time, which was unusual for me.  It worked well in the beginning and I fell asleep quickly, but soon woke up to extremely painful contractions on one side.  

I didn't want to increase my epidural because historically the epidural has caused me to crash.  I knew this, and I told myself not to ask for an increase.  In the end, the intensity of the contractions got to me.  I regretted it as soon as I asked...major crash out.

I immediately felt a wave of intense nausea, so they sat me up to throw up.  I didn't throw up, but I remember putting my head back down on the pillow and just fading, thinking don't worry, they'll do their jobs.  I have no idea what happened, but I woke up a little fuzzy.  There were eight or so people in the room.  Dr. Minton's face was about six inches from mine, and he was calmly telling me, "stay with us".  Then I heard one of the ladies on the phone say something about Ginny's heart rate dropping.  Don told me later they were prepping an OR for an emergency c-section, but I don't remember that. 

During the moments I was awake, I felt like the epidural was numbing me all the way up to my neck.  It really felt like my lungs were numb, which in turn made me feel like I couldn't breathe.  I was genuinely terrified.  Don kept telling me that my vitals were ok and that I was breathing fine.  After that, I must have passed out again.

I'm not sure how long I was in and out, but Don said I probably passed out three times.  The only other thing I remember was a few minutes of attempting to push.  I heard Dr. Minton say something about Ginny's heart rate dropping again, and that if I didn't get her out in two more pushes we'd have to go to the OR.  The problem was, I was so numb I couldn't push.  

In the end, they used the vacuum and got her out just in the nick of time.  Don said he was really nervous throughout the whole ordeal.  That's when you know it was actually dicey.  Because my body was in so much shock, I didn't hold her for almost an hour.  I was definitely not all there, on top of dealing with an exhausting episode of "the shakes".  Eventually, my body calmed down enough to hold her.  

The moment finally came for celebration!  She made it!  She made it!  She made it with the most perfect little purple suction circle on her head.  All is well that ends well, and I am forever grateful I never, ever have to go through that again.  #worthit, but also #neveragain.

We were both so surprised at how tiny she was!  Both the boys were so big when they were born, so having a six-pounder was definitely new.  Little mini-Ginny!
She came out screaming, much to the relief of everybody in the room.
She has been so alert, from day one, which makes sense as to why she doesn't sleep at all during the day...she spends her time happily observing.  And being entertained by the boys.  No naps, and that's no exaggeration.  She sleeps for fifteen minutes at a time.  The end.

She sleeps well at night though, thank goodness!
It is unexpectedly sweet to see older kids with a new baby.  When the boys saw her for the first time in the hospital, it was a memorable and special moment.  Both Auggie and Owen love her so much, and she is their favorite new little buddy.  She smiles so easily at both of them!
The boys have been through everything with me...the miscarriage, the chemical pregnancies, the egg retrieval, the shots, the ultrasounds and appointments...everything.  I can't even count the number of times they asked me if their baby sister was "going to make it this time".  

Yes, boys, she made it this time.  
Grandma Quebe & Grandpa Quebe came to visit in the hospital!
As did Grandma and Grandpa Williams!  We were very grateful they came down to watch the boys while we were in the hospital.  
Absolutely thrilled to be able to put bows on her head!
Little Ginny made it home, safe and sound.
We love you so much already, Ginny!

Ooook one more story.  Auggie really wanted to name her Ginny, from Harry Potter.  We liked that name, of course, but it was one of a few on a list with each of our favorites.  Don really liked the name Poppy, I've wanted Addie since college, and Owen voted for Olive or Annabelle.  As we considered each name, we all really ended up liking Ginny.  I loved Virginia Ann Williams for a full name, and I also really wanted to name her after my mom, which was important to me.

One day, as we were discussing the names, Auggie mentioned that if she had red hair then she was definitely supposed to be a Ginny.  We agreed.  Then Auggie followed up with, "Well, I really need to be the first one to see her in the hospital because I might be able to detect some red hair on her head that you won't be able to see!".  

You know what?  He's not wrong.  We all *think* we see a little strawberry in that blonde hair of hers. 

No comments: