Monday, March 16, 2009

Ithaca Meets Manhattan

This weekend, my brother and sister-in-law came down to visit me in the city! Philip and Aubrey live up in Ithaca, New York. Philip is currently attending Cornell University, where he is learning to take over the world one business class at a time. I think P&A are actually quite capable of taking over the world, or at least building one without too much trouble...

Thursday: They got to the city late Thursday night, so we just headed home and went straight to bed. Boring, but quite necessary.

Friday: We started the day by exploring Central Park. Naturally, a southbound exit from the Park led us straight to...you guessed it...ANTHROPOLOGIE. Yep. When my family visits New York, we don't go to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building...no, no...we go shopping. Lest I get a bad rep for being a poor tour guide or a cultural lemon, let me expound. Aubrey had to return something at the store because there is no Anthropologie in Ithaca. So we had to go. No choice. Behold the Anthropologie wall of fabric:


Following some good quality time with Aubrey and one fascinating headband, we continued exploring Rockefeller Center. After a quick bite of street meat, we went to the Public Library and Grand Central Station. The architecture of these buildings is absolutely amazing. I learned much from my construction saavy siblings about how incredible the architecture really is.







After that, we also went to the MOMA and stuffed ourselves with macaroni and cheese from one of my all time favorite restaurants...S'MAC. To top off the night, we saw the Broadway show, STOMP. I will borrow a phrase from one of my friends back at BYU to describe this show..."sensory bombardment" (X-Country camp talent show anyone?). It is loud, funny, rythmic, and musical. Not to mention, this is all completely accomplished with your everyday street objects. Fantastic.

Saturday: The most amazingly lucky thing happened on Saturday. So amazing and so lucky that I am sure this post will not do it justice. On Saturday morning, we decided to try our luck at the Wicked Lottery. This means that out of around 160 or so of people who enter their names, the Wicked official (haha, no pun intended...) draws only 13 names to get two tickets for the next show. Two front row tickets for $26.00 a piece. If you need perspective, here you go: Average ticket price for an average seat for Wicked is probably around...oh...$120? And that's average, not front row. Oh, did I forget to mention that Philip's name was called?!!





So, while Philip and Aubrey enjoyed Wicked, I meandered through Soho for a couple hours, tasting chocolates as I went. Yum.

On Saturday night, we all went to Shake Shack for burgers and concretes. Once again, yum!




I am so glad that Philip and Aubrey came to visit me; I had a lot of fun. It was definitely some much needed family time. Thanks family! :)

5 comments:

Marissa said...

SOOO jealous! Not only do I love both of those folks, but you had S'Macs and Wicked! Aubs and Phil - if you are reading this - I really do love and miss both of you!

Also, CQ - Can we add S'Macs on the list again when I come? If not can we pick it up and can I take a large pallet of it home with me? Seriously - Everytime I'm in a grocery store I look for gruyere at a reasonable price now - because it was just SO darn good last time!

chelsea mckell said...

I love the way you write! So entertaining. I have now had a vicarious vacation. Thanks.
:)

Debbie said...

I'm glad you had fun with Philip and Aubrey! I'm jealous of all the big city fun you're having :)

jenny said...

Shake Shack is my favorite! I must have entered the Wicked lottery 10 times when I lived there and never won. I had to fork out the dough to see it a couple of times. Philip must have crazy luck!

Kight Family said...

That sounds like a great weekend and packed with lots of family fun. Seeing you all together makes me want to see you all again and hang out like we use to.

And I am jealous of the wicked tickets too. It is coming to Utah but the tickets are over $100 and us poor people can't afford anything close to that.

I am glad we got to chat a little today. I miss you and hope you are doing well!!!
Love Becky