Super Q, my ever faithful computer, is finally fixed!! I missed her so!!!
Several months ago, I opened my computer to discover a very shattered screen. I immediately called Compaq to see what it would take to fix it. The estimated cost was $400...I then immediately decided that I would try to fix it myself.
I found some step-by-step instructions online (like, picture book simplicity...I kid you not), and called my computer savvy brother to see if he thought I could do it. He thought I could. Such faith he had in me :) Without further ado, I began the very stressful process of ripping apart my computer and reassembling it with a newly ordered screen.
I wish I could say I was successful on my first attempt, but I wasn't. What really happened was that I ended up ordering 3 different screens, and completely taking apart my computer 3 different times. By the third disassembly, I was like a pro. Screen bezel, Wi-Fi cables, Video cable...you name it, I know it. I had the thing memorized. Unfortunately, memorized or not, each time my futile attempts to install a new screen earned me the highly avoided "White Screen of Death", as it has been dubbed in the computer world.
With spirits broken, I brought Super Q home during Thanksgiving break to have my computer savvy brother look at it. (Funny side note: We took the computer in to a shop here in town, and they said the whole thing was busted...they told me to buy a new computer...Ha! Thanks to the advice of my dad, we disassembled my comp one more time just to double check).
On this fourth attempt, I was supervised and aided by my bro. And...what did he discover? The entire time, I simply was not connecting the Video cable in all the way. Every. single. time.
Finally, we ordered a fourth screen, and we assembled the whole thing tonight...and SUCCESS!
Sweet Victory!!
Super Q is back and loving life. And the best part is, we did it for 1/2 the price of sending it in!
What to learn from this experience? Computers are not actually that scary. The fourth time.
Thank you computer savvy brother. Thank you father for the advice. Thank you Screentek for refunding me for 3 screens. And, thank you Super Q for pulling out of your coma.
2 comments:
Yay Super Q! So good to have you back with us!
Love the Quebe fam. Now you can post!
Post a Comment