Monday, May 16, 2011

Red Butte Gardens

This weekend, Don and I went to the Red Butte Gardens up at the University of Utah. It was really pretty, although most of the flowers weren't in bloom yet. It seems we just missed the lilies and the roses.

We did see my newly-decided-upon favorite flower. The beautiful tulip!

The following picture prompted the funniest quote of the day. It made me smile! As we were strolling through the herb garden, Don says, "Hey, this one's cool. It seems like you could grow this one."

With anticipation, I peer down at the sign that reads, "Invincible Hosta".

*blink. blink*

I don't think. that was sarcastic.

So. funny.

We also snuck up on some moosen (Don and I decided that it should technically be meese, if we were to follow the goose pattern. And if it should be meese, then why not just throw moosen in the mix?). Shhhh...

Like I said, most of the flowering trees and bulbs weren't out yet. I took this picture of a magnolia tree just beginning to sprout. I felt like we were sort of intruding during the garden's early budding phase. Like, "hey, we're not ready! You aren't supposed be here yet..." We definitely walked right in between winter and summer.

Don with the Dr. Suess tree that he loved. I kept thinking it should be rainbow striped.

The herb garden.


3 comments:

Janae said...

I took McKinnley there a few weeks ago and took some pictures of her and there were no roses or lilies to be found. You didn't miss out. Just daffodils, but I wasn't terribly impressed by those either. If you want to see the roses, head up there around memorial day and they will be in full bloom. If you're thinking of going, let me know and I can head up there with my student id (gets you in free) and tell you if anything is in bloom. :)

Marissa said...

1 - you are SO stinkin cute! I'm so excited for you to be on the East coast so I can harass you more.

2 - I want that herb garden! I would love to have that in my backyard and just cook wonderful things all day.

Jenna said...

nice! good for you guys going out and finding a new place to visit.

hosta grows SO well out here - it's true - probably invincible - almost like a weed BUT SO much more tropical & pretty looking. Great filler for the yard