Sunday, February 19, 2012

Be Mine.

All you need is love.  

Don and I had a really great Valentine's Day.  We certainly celebrated in style, and I have been excited to post about it all week.    

So, something you may not about me is...I love Valentine's Day.  I really look forward to it.  I am a big fan of celebrating holidays, and Valentine's Day is no exception.  The thought of flowers and chocolate just brings a smile to my face.



As it turns out, both of us had secret plans to wake up early to surprise the other one...that sort of makes things complicated.  The night before V-day we had the following conversation:

Carolyn:  "Wait, you are getting up at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow?!  But you don't usually get up until 6 a.m.!"
Don:  "Well, I have to get some reading done before work tomorrow, so yeah, I think I'll get up at 5 a.m.."
Carolyn:  "So...are you going to shower in the morning?"
Don:  "Yeah." 
Don:  "Wait, what does that have to do with anything?" 

Well, i'll tell you what it had to do with.  It had to do with that fact that I didn't know how to surprise Don with breakfast in the morning if he was going to wake up at 5 a.m.!  It seemed a bit ridiculous to wake up at 4:30 a.m. just for the sake of surprising him with food at 5 a.m.  Who really wants to eat at 5 a.m. anyway?  I have my limits, I guess.  So...my desperate "plan b" thought was that I could *maybe* fix breakfast while he was in the shower.  

(On the flip side, Don wanted to wake up at 5 a.m. to buy flowers for me before I woke up.  I'm not sure we could have planned this any better had we tried.)

Finally, after an awkward exchange about his showering habits and a hijacked bowl of cereal, I gave up and told Don that I was making him breakfast.  Then, he explained that he wanted to make sure I had flowers before I woke up.  We're cool.

Breakfast, with beautiful flowers.


French toast with strawberries and bananas.  Yum!


That night, Don took me out to a tasty Thai restaurant right.  Then, when we got back to the apartment, we made chocolate covered strawberries!  SO fun.  This was also Don's idea.  He even bought white and dark chocolate so we could make tuxedo strawberries.



Dipping strawberries.


Little tuxedos!


You can't really tell, but I was really excited to make the strawberries.  This was a very nice, and very successful, surprise.



I also decorated our apartment.  (I told you I love Valentine's Day.  I wasn't kidding.)  

These cute little paper hearts just took over our window.  I couldn't stop them.



My dear Don:

I love you! 

-Me

4 comments:

Coopers said...

Cute! Love the paper hearts.
Wow, Carolyn, you get up much earlier then when we were living closer. :)
Holidays are fun.

chelsea mckell said...

I love that you gave the play-by-play on the planning conversation - I feel like I was a fly on the wall, laughing :)
Those flowers are gorgeous!!

ps - your blog is asking me to type letters below to prove I'm not a robot. I think that's a little discriminatory against blogging robots...

Marissa said...

You are so stinkin' cute! I miss you, but so happy to see you loving Boston and loving life. You're also looking mighty foxy and adult-like. The East Coast looks good on you. Let's catch up soon :)

Jenna said...

haha! Love the story! too funny!

Love your garland & I can only imagine how much fun you had creating both that & the strawberries

PS - I AM COMING UP THE WEEKEND OF THE BOSTON MARATHON. We booked a motel somewhere Sat & Sunday night. I will def be in touch with you to figure out how I can see you while I'm there. (tempted to opt out of the boston red sox baseball game & maybe see you saturday night?) I'll be leaving Carter with Grandma & have Bennett with me. Traveling up their with my father inlaw & Tyrel.