Saturday, October 19, 2013

Boston -> Hartford -> NYC

Don and I had a great weekend filled with lots of travel, family, and friends.  On Wednesday, Don's friends from his mission flew in from Germany!  The last time we saw them was 3 1/2 years ago when Don and I were engaged and living in NYC.  It has definitely been a while.


Our schedule for the week was as follows:

Wed - Fri:  Party in Boston.
Fri - Sat:  Skip to Hartford for the Marathon.
Sat - Sun:  Off to NYC for more partying!

While in Boston, we took the Germans (we affectionately call them "The Germans".  Harald and Elke are their real names.) to as many cool places as we could think of.  We went out to eat, visited the farmer's markets, walked along Newbury Street, etc. etc.  One of my favorite destinations was Restoration Hardware.  I thought Elke would really like it because she is a talented designer back home in Germany.  She reupholsters furniture for her job/sometimes just makes her own furniture.  Does anybody else think that is the coolest thing ever?!  (Mom...I'm looking at you.)

So, we spent time wandering through RH, sitting down in every over-sized chair they had to offer.  Well actually, Don and Harald were the true chair sitters.  They wanted to test everything out, so I started taking tons of pictures of them in each chair they sat down in.

They humored me.






Not sure why this little guy made it onto the camera roll...Oh wait...maybe it's because he's the cutest chair sitter ever!!!  







The Germans flew in on the same weekend that I was scheduled to run the Hartford Marathon, so after spending some time in Boston, we all drove down for the race.  Unfortunately, I bombed it.  I really don't want to talk about it.  I admit, however, that my passion for pictures is greater than my shame of the race.  So here you are:

(This peppy picture was taken at mile 3.  HA.  This did not last.)


Don did such a great job of cheering/offering me beverage/offering me food/taking pictures/counting how many girls were in front of me.  He has excellent multi-tasking skills!  


Harald and Elke scheduled their departing flight out of New York City because they wanted to go back again. So, after a brief stay in Hartford, we drove down to NYC.  Don and I were SO happy about this decision, and we couldn't wait to get to NYC.

Things you should know about me and/or NYC:

- I'm obsessed with NYC.  
- I love it.  
- Whenever I leave NYC, I cry.  
- It's magical, and special, and unique.  
- I will cherish the 2 years I spent there forever.
- Don and I want to make NYC a part of our lives forever.

How can you not be enchanted by this?!


Ugh...I'm starting to cry right now...seriously?!  

Anyway, my brother and sister-in-law just moved to NYC, which means that we got to hang with them for the remainder of the weekend!  It is always great to spend time with them, and we are so happy they are now within driving distance!  I am also thrilled that they have a chance to experience New York.  Lucky ducks!

(#teehee #canvisitNYCforcheapsies)




My priorities in New York were as follows:  Superheroes.  More superheroes.




Thank you to all for coming, staying, and letting us stay!  It was good to see everybody!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am a running stalker, so I looked up your results and I wish when I bombed a race I ran that fast :) But, seriously, Richmond is in just three weeks...you know you want to come on down for it...magical things happen there...Plus you will certainly beat me!

Jenna said...

Sooo fun to read. sorry your race didn't go well though - you are amazing to even keep running marathons!
Fun your brother is there...I'm already not so secretly hoping maybe it will bring you down this way a little more often so we can arrange a rendezvous?
i plan to take the boys to nyc on monday and meet up with my sister. superheroes would totally make Carter's life! I better have some tip money, right?
I WISH YOU COULD LIVE IN NYC TOO!!!