Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Breaking Barriers

This weekend was very memorable running day for me.  I ran a half marathon.  It was my first race back since being pregnant with Owen, and I broke a barrier.  A barrier I never knew my body was capable of, especially not after having two babies.  It was the perfect race.
I ran a 1:19.43, with an average pace of 6:05/mile.  Three of my thirteen miles were sub-6, which I still can't wrap my head around.  I was actually aiming for a 1:23, if I had a good day.  My half pr before this was a 1:24 that I ran sometime in 2017, before I had Auggie.  I never thought I could achieve an elite time like this at a distance this long.  When I crossed the finish line, I just sat down with my head in my hands and cried.

One big difference is that a friend of mine is coaching me this year.  She is incredibly talented and just knows how to train my body.  Of course, I've been working my butt off for the last 9 months, but whatever Emily's doing is just working.  I feel incredibly lucky to have met her.

This race is so special to me because it completely changed my perception of my own talent.  For the first time in my marathon journey, I'm not scared of a 2:59.  I'm going to break three hours this year.  In fact, I think it might be easy.  That 1:19 shattered a mental barrier that has been inside me for a long time.  I've never seen myself as an elite, more of an imposter in that category.  I've always known I was good, but never that good.  But on Saturday, I was that good.   It's a weird and exciting space for me to be in.  
I don't have much of a recap other than to say it was the perfect race.  The perfect weather, perfect shoes, perfect coach, perfect pacing, perfect cheerleaders, perfect running buddy, perfect course...the perfect race.  Those don't happen very often, but when they do, it makes it all worth it!
St. George Mini Marathon

1:19.43
6:05/mile

Splits:  6:17, 6:06, 6:01, 6:03, 6:08, 6:26, 6:04, 5:51, 6:07, 6:00, 5:57, 5:52, 6:16, and :29

No comments: