St. George Marathon, 2024! This was one for the books! I had sworn off marathons after I finally broke the three hour barrier in 2022. They are just. not. fun. Also, they are very hard on my body, and I know that I can't sustain that kind of load long term. Regardless, I had still always planned on running the NYC marathon after being completely done having kids. It feels like a fun comeback race, one that I wouldn't train hard for, just enjoy. Well...in 2024 the NYC marathon changed its rules from requiring only a half marathon time to qualify, to requiring a full marathon time to qualify...oof. Whether I liked it or not, I had to do one more hard effort to get into NYC.
The good news? I got to train with my friend, Kaydi. We also ran elite, which was a really fun experience. We dropped six pre-mixed bottles to pick up along the course. It actually made a huge difference for us because it was a hot day. #67!
I won't go into a lot of detail with training other than to say, we worked our butts off. We trained hard. Our goal was a sub-2:50, which would be a huge PR for me. We ended up just shy of that goal. Kaydi dropped me in the last two miles by about 30 seconds and ended up with a 2:51.30. I came in right behind her with a 2:52.04. For me though, this was a huge 3 minute PR anyway! I couldn't be happier. We ran a really smart race, and I'm very, very proud to go out on this.
{start line nerves}{smile miles in the beginning}
{getting serious}
{step-for-step}
{werk werk werk}
Ok. So this part of the story is really special to me. I was ranked 17th going in. I thought that on a great day, I could maybe break the top 15. Throughout the entire race, we didn't know where we were placed. No idea. When I crossed the finish line, I knew my time, but I assumed I was pretty far back in the pack of women. A minute after I crossed the line, I saw Kaydi running up to me shouting, "We're 9th and 10th!!! We're 9th & 10th!!!!!" It took me a second to register, and then we both just started crying. We broke into the top ten of the St. George Marathon! This is a pretty significant achievement and just really cool for me. I still can't believe it.
Honestly, this day is core running memory for me. It doesn't get better than this. As an added bonus, I got myself my NYC qualifier.
Noooow I can retire. No. more. marathons. After NYC, that is.
{top ten!}
{top ten podium}
{8th, 5th, 10th, 9th}
{the best running buddy}
{support crew!}{coach E for life}
My stats:
2:52.04
6:33/mile pace
10th place
{the splits}




















No comments:
Post a Comment