Sunday, May 31, 2009

"For we are of the race of Gods"

I do not often publicly share my testimony of the Gospel or my feelings concerning the words of the prophets. Today, however, is quite an exception.

This morning I came across the following quote by Brigham Young on the back cover of the June Ensign:

"Let us...show to the world that we have talent and taste, and prove to the heavens that our minds are set on beauty and true excellence."



I can't sufficiently describe how this quote struck me. Take a moment to think about the words used in the Prophet's admonition.

Talent. Taste. Beauty. True excellence.

These are words that I hope describe who we are as Latter-day Saints. If this is not the case, then I hope that we have a strong desire to become such a refined people.

This quote from Brigham Young comes from the talk entitled, "Our Refined Heavenly Home", by Elder Douglas L. Callister (Pg. 54 - June Ensign). Once again, I can't convey with words how this talk affected me. He calls us to action, inspiring us to become a refined people, worthy of being in the presence of God.

The following are quotes from this talk that I find to be exceptionally compelling and powerful.

Elder Callister recounts an experience of the great composer Handel. When given a compliment after a performance of his Messiah, Handel stated,

"My lord, I should be sorry if I only entertained them - I wish to make them better."


Wow. Handel understood how music could make people better. He chose not to settle for that which was solely entertaining. He wanted to create something inspiring, and more importantly, uplifting to the soul. He placed true value on his works.

Not surprisingly, his works are now considered truly valuable.

Elder Callister also states,

"When the Lord comes he will not expect to meet a dirty people, but a people of refinement."

We must be a refined people, upholding a standard of refinement equal to that of the angels in heaven.



Elder Callister also states,

"You are children of an exalted being. You are foreordained to preside as kings and queens...we are the race of the Gods..."

These words are true, and I believe them to be literal.

We are the race of the Gods.

Saying those words audibly is enough to stir the soul to a knowledge of their truth. We should be a refined people, a people who can always be described as talented, tasteful, beautiful, and above all, truly excellent.

I do not often feel such strong convictions of truth when reading the words of the prophets. However, the strength with which the Spirit bore testimony of the truth of Elder Callister's words inspired me to share.

8 comments:

Gayle said...

Thank you!

Strong Clan said...

You bore such a sweet testimony. Thank you for that. It was much needed.

Sarah said...

This is a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing!!

Marissa said...

I love this! You truly found and continue to find such beautiful things!

Now I'm just waiting for some more beautiful pictures of your creations ;) LOVE YOU!

Kight Family said...

What a coincidence. Tom read that same talk and had those same sentiments. We discussed that talk for the entire ride from Bountiful to Orem. We should try to be the refined people who our Heavenly Father wants us to be. We can if we TRY!!!!!

Carolyn, you are awesome and I miss our talks!!!!!!

John and Morgan said...

I'm so glad you posted this! It made my day! I'm glad everything is going well. You look adorable as always.

Andy said...

Is it to early in our relationship to say we should get married? ;)

Andy said...

I knew you'd like it. I aim to please I guess? Also, it's weird to try to carry on a conversation through messages on blogger.