1. Hill Cumorah - Everybody was feverishly setting up for the Hill Cumorah Pageant. Philip helped set up for a bit while Aubrey and I walked to the top of the hill. Philip joined us soon after we got to the top.
2. Smith Log House - The Smith house, which is the house where Joseph lived as a young boy, was so small. There were only two rooms upstairs for all the children...6 boys and 3 girls! We decided the only way this could ever work is...the kids were:
a) outside playing or working all summer long, and
b) inside sick all winter long.
3. Frame Home - This is the house that was started by Alvin Smith, and it is only a couple hundred feet from the Log House. This is where Joseph, Emma, and their family lived for a while. It was here that Joseph hid the Gold Plates under the bricks of his fireplace.
4. Sacred Grove - I had always imagined the Sacred Grove to be a clearing in the woods, like how it is depicted in the church movies. I was quite surprised to discover that the Grove is in fact...an entire grove. After we had already been walking for a minute or so, I finally asked,
"So...where is the Sacred Grove then?"
To which Philip responded,
"Um...we are in the Sacred Grove. We've been in it this whole time. The Sacred Grove is all of this [large, sweeping hand motion]."
Oops.
Regardless, notice how Aubrey is glowing in these pictures. It's because she's in the Sacred Grove. And because she's pregnant!
5. The Print Shop - This was one of my favorite stops on the tours. I love learning how to make things. To see how the first Books of Mormon were printed was fascinating.
6. David Whitmer Farm - The senior missionaries who guided this tour were fantastic. They shared a lot of stories about the lives of the Whitmers and the Smiths.
After Palmyra, we explored one of the many waterfalls surrounding Ithaca.
For dinner, we attempted to make thin crust New York style pizza in honor of the City! It turned out more like thick crust Chicago style, but we tried.

5 comments:
How fun. I have never been to any of the church sites. Maybe one day.
You look like a professional throwing the pizza dough. I liked how you were wanting to "honor the city."
Wow those are some beautiful pictures, especially of the pregnant lady!!!!!!
I would love to visit the church sites one day.
Tom and I have been talking about saving up to come visit you in New York. So how long are you planning on being there?
ha ha - I like the sacred grove story. I imagine you will be making a trip up there again to have more fun.
I like the river picture.
Looks like you are having so much fun! I will be in Boston in a month! My mom and I are touring the Church history sites on our road trip out there and this post made me so excited for that...
Post a Comment