Wednesday, November 3, 2010

BOO! It's SO scary!

It's so scary that Halloween already came and went. I can't believe how fast this year has flown by.

I can't let the year go by without blogging about our Halloween festivities.

Let me first introduce you to the late Minerva Williams. I say late because she just barely passed away on Sunday evening. Previous to her last moments with us, Minerva stood proudly as our little sentinel all through the week. She even braved Utah's ferocious first winter storm of the year. Way to go M!

Minerva (named so appropriately by my former roomate V Hobbs), was the pumpkin that Don and I carved this year.

Here she is in all her glory...

1. Minerva began as a concept. Cooky pumpkin.

2. Minerva's personality seriously grew as she realized there was a knife stuck in her. Notice the tiniest bit of excitement in her face.

3. Minerva waited patiently as Don gutted and cleaned her.



4. Minerva really got excited when we ran her under the sink for a little clean-up. I think I even heard her laugh.


5. Minerva once again waited patiently as we prepared to bring her outside. She couldn't wait to have a candle, just like all the other pumpkins.



6. Minerva is alive!


It was really fun to carve a pumpkin. That is one of my favorite Halloween traditions.

I also made Halloween sugar cookies. I LOVE LOVE LOVE frosted sugar cookies. I have decided that no major holiday is complete without them. Yum.


Last but not least, I ran the Provo Halloween Half Marathon as a bumblebee! I LOVE racing. Almost as much as I love frosted sugar cookies.

This race was especially fun because I had some friends from the team that paced me. And of course, it was much more fun to run as a bumblebee. Everybody's costumes were so great. Some of Don's family ran the race as well, and they were very cute garden gnomes. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures. Don was able to get one of me running by, so you can sort of see my bee-ness.

It makes such a huge difference to have people cheering for you as you run by, so I was really happy that Don and his family came to watch. I loved having him there to see the part of my life that is so important to me!

I came through in a 1:24.33. That is a new PR! I was really excited, except for the fact that I really, truly, honestly, can't walk. Nope. I haven't run for 2 days now because I am so sore. Ugh.

That is all for the Halloween post. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

7 comments:

Becca Jane said...

I LOVE that you ran as a bee! How fun! I'm jealous that you're such a good runner.

Love that you named your pumpking too! Minerva is awesome.

Jenna said...

way to go on the race! Awesome!


And of course you are naming your pumpkin. Haha!

The Bybees said...

Wow! Great job on the race!! That's a great time. Also, love the pumpkin and the expressions on the cookies. Very cool.

Coopers said...

i love everything about this post.
-the pumpkin.
-the cookies.
-the race!

nice work! what a GREAT time! you are amazing!

Lyndsy said...

1:24!!! what a beast! congrats...and your cookies are of course flawless and so crafty! Yay for the beginning of all things holiday!

Marissa said...

1 - LOVE cookies. I'm excited to see all of them for the holidays to come.

2 - Such a great time! Congrats! Does this mean you'll be doing another marathon or just more halfs? My new goals are to finish and to not exceed 4 times your time :)

3 - What an adorable costume to run in. Love it!

Bekah said...

I love that you did the Halloween half. I did too. That is awesome.