Friday, October 7, 2011

PROMOTION!

I have SOME EXCITING NEWS!!!

Anthropologie just promoted me to Manager in Training! I didn't expect my Anthro career to take me down the management path, but they have guided me in such a direction.

YAY!

So, although I will not be a visual sales associate anytime soon, I am ok with postponing/altering my display career dreams for a management job that makes me equally happy. I start my new job duties on Monday! Wish me luck :)

ADVICE PLEASE:


I would LOVE to hear any experiences or interactions you've had with managers in your jobs. What qualities make a manager great/fun to work with? Why did you like certain managers more than others? What things should I avoid doing? What things should I always do?

**Please keep in mind the privacy of those you mention in your comments.  Name changing encouraged.  Bashing and complaining about past workplace wrongs...highly discouraged.**

6 comments:

Strong Clan said...

Honesty. And not being "Wishy Washy" - meaning tell the people exactly what you want them to do and when you want it done by. Don't assume and then get upset.

Laura said...

ummmm AMAZING!!!! Congrats!!!!! You can now make anthro even more awesome!!!

Janna said...

Congratulations! You'll be great!

V said...

congratulations Carolyn!!! I'm excited for you! On another note: when are we going to see you in NYC??? :)

Blair said...

First off: Congrats!

Secondly, I have a great deal of experience as a manager. I would recommend the following:

1. Listen to your subordinates FULL sentences. Don't assume you know how the sentence will end. Listen, count to two and THEN answer. This will help greatly.

2. Right when you get the job, ask your subordinates what their favorite thing about their jobs are. Write them down. That way, when you have something you need to get done and you need help, you know exactly not only who to ask, but also who will actually enjoy the work.

3. Williams/Tiffany is completely right. Always be really clear. Sometimes it helps to write down exactly what you need from someone and to give them a clear deadline. This helps show them that you are organized AND efficient AND responsible.

Best of luck! I know you'll do great!

chelsea mckell said...

Just caught up on your blog (which I very much enjoy doing!) Loved the Fall photos. You two are a gorgeous couple!

Managerial advice (from Brian. I only manage toddlers, and not very well usually): frequently and sincerely compliment their work/work ethic/attitude as much as possible. Even things like, "hey, just want you to know I appreciate you being punctual every day" or "It's great working with people like you who stay so focused on the job." It will give you a lot of cushion when you have to reprimand them.

Congrats! So happy for you!