Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Walden Pond

Last Saturday, Don and I spent a wonderful morning at Walden Pond.  We walked slowly, observed nature, and thoughtfully discussed the probability of successfully swimming across the pond.  We decided that it was highly probable that Don would succeed in the pond swim.  We decided that it was highly probable that I . . . would not. 

It was really interesting to see the replica of Henry David Thoreau's cabin home.  It was only one tiny room! 

He lived at Walden Pond for a period of 2 years.  During this time, he basically did the same things we did during our visit:  he walked slowly and observed nature.  (I'm sure he conquered the pond swim on many occasions.)


The outside view of Thoreau's cabin home (As I mentioned above, this is a replica.  The original is no longer standing).


Beautiful Walden Pond.



Enjoying the scenery.


While we were walking, we spotted a crane in the water .  We were mesmerized for a long time...it was unbelievably graceful.  


I got a video right before it snatched a fish out of the water!  I couldn't believe I missed it on camera.  I felt like Crocodile Hunter . . . haha, quietly sneaking up to catch a video.  It was so cool to watch it glide, step by step, through the water.  We couldn't believe how quick it was when it caught the fish.  Lightning fast.


And, last but not least, I didn't want to leave out the toadstools that had so obviously been stolen from the set of Alice and Wonderland.  L.A. needs you back!


We hope to visit again soon. 

No comments: