Friday, May 28, 2021

Our first garden!

We attempted a small, potted garden this year.  Everybody tells me that growing a garden in St. George is easy, so I thought....why not?  I've always wanted to be a gardener.  In my mind, I imagine having a beautiful gardenscape in our backyard, with raised beds and flower pots.  Maybe an arbor with vines.  It would be a magical place where I could pick fresh fruits and vegetables everyday.  Oh, it sounds so lovely!  

It's really a shame that I am just no good at gardening.  I do not have a green thumb.  I'm a chronic overwater-er, and the number of plants that have died at my hands is terrifying.  Indoor, outdoor, it doesn't matter.  They don't last long.  Fiddle leaf figs, for example, are a particularly dismal addiction.  These are one of the most temperamental plants you can buy, and I foolishly keep thinking they'll survive this time.

But still, I persist!   I am not giving up on houseplants, and I'm not giving up on a garden either.  I have been reading books and trying to learn as much as I can.  It may take years of trial and error, but someday I will realize all my garden/sustainability dreams!

Our garden this year was a wonderful experience.  We had lots of failures, but also some successes.  The lettuces thrived, and I think I made myself five salads from our bounty.  We also grew the cutest little beginner carrots and some baby onions that turned out decently tasty!  We will definitely try again next year.
Fresh spinach, straight from the garden!

No comments: