In June, we went to Park City for the weekend before sending me off to Girl's Camp in Heber. By all accounts, it should have been so so so fun. And it really was! That is, if we block out the kids' behavior for most of the time we were there. Don't let these pictures fool you. Auggie and Owen were such stinkers on this trip. Don and I were pretty deflated by how the kids were acting. Oooof! I guess you can't win 'em all. Despite all the tiredness and tears, we still managed to enjoy each adventure as it came.
The views at the Airbnb were A++.
The kids and I hiked up to the PC while Don went for a mountain bike ride.
We took our first ride on the Heber Creeper! Owen has brought so much train enthusiasm to our family, so we are here for all the train things. Jimmy John's in the dining car was a favorite memory for me.
Then we moved to the party car.
(The crossed fingers again 😊!)
On to the caboose.
On Saturday morning, I left the fam to run the Drop 13 Half down Big Cottonwood Canyon. This is a very downhill course, so I was pretty sure I would get a PR just by virtue of the steepness. I just didn't know how much time the downhill would give me. I ran a PR of 1:17.08 at Mt. Charleston in April, so I was hoping for quite a bit faster than that.
I gave this race everything. I was already sore and hurting pretty badly when I hit mile seven, so I knew I was going to be deep in the pain cave by the end. I can't remember a half marathon where I've hurt that badly the last two miles. I almost just gave up and walked a handful of times. I'm so glad I didn't though, because I ended up with a huge PR and the win!
1:14.34, with an average mile pace of 5:41. Whew! I couldn't walk for a week, but it was #worthit. I will never run that race again though. It was too steep, and I'm just glad I walked away from it intact.
It was a beautiful course with a beautiful start line!
I've had three first place podium wins this year! It's been fuuuuuuun.My mile-by-mile splits, thanks to Strava.
I drove back up to Park City after the race and it was straight to the Alpine slides. Another first for the kids, and they really loved it.
Then the Alpine Coaster...a first for me too!We ended the night with a much-anticipated caramel apple from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. You never know what's going to stick with kids, but this was it. They now one hundred percent equate Park City with caramel apples.
e.g. - The other day, our neighbors mentioned that they went camping in Park City over the weekend, and without hesitation, Owen excitedly asked them if they ate any caramel apples. I had to explain to Owen that not everybody gets a caramel apple when they go to Park City, but he definitely still thinks it's a thing.
On Sunday, we drove to Guardsman Pass, and then went on a hike called Blood Lake. It was an amazing hike, but we didn't realize it was snowed in at the end. It made for an adventure though, and the boys were thrilled to be "skiing" across a mini tundra (and making snow angels!) in the middle of summer.
We had a little snowball fight at the top of Guardsman.
Our hike to Blood Lake!
Our Airbnb had a hot tub. Big win. So fun.
Don and I love Park City, and admittedly...this trip got us dreaming of a house there one day! We'll see what the future holds.




























No comments:
Post a Comment