"Marathon Monday", as it is endearingly called by the locals, is almost like a holiday in Boston. The entire city rallies behind the runners as they embark on their 26.2 mile journeys-by-foot. It really was an amazing experience to actually be one of those runners.
My parents came into town to cheer me on, and it was so fun to have them come visit! Here we are, pre-road trip to Boston.
I documented the finish line a couple days before the race, just in case I never actually made it there again...
The Village was complete with small options of pre-race food, as well as the occasional booth for entertainment. I passed some time by getting an AT&T "good luck" tattoo carefully sponged onto my right calf.
To get out of the cold, I also opted to wait in the one-hour line for a massage...inside the gym. Hmmm...free massage inside a warm gym, or, no massage outside in the freezing cold. The decision of so many runners to remain outside that morning still baffles me. Perhaps their judgement was impaired by their nerves, or maybe the bitter cold.
As I started the race, I thought of only two things for the first couple of miles.
"Don't go too fast!" and, "I am running the Boston Marathon?! Yay!"
It was amazing to see the crowds of people lined up along the streets to cheer the runners on. There were spectators on the sidelines almost the entire way. These pictures were taken at mile 22.
I think it's quite safe to say that the cheers of the crowds had a direct effect upon how fast I ran. During the last four miles of the race, the crowd was cheering deafeningly loud, and the streets were overrun with people. I remember looking up at one point and seeing people frantically waving and cheering from behind the glass of a 3rd story store window. That, my friends, is truly motivating.
Somewhere between the joy of running Boston, the wearied state of my mind and body, and the contagious emotion of the crowds, I felt tears in my eyes twice during the race. Needless to say, I snapped out of crying relatively quickly when I began losing my ability to breathe. Who cries while running a marathon?!
Through some mixture of training, determination, prayer, and inspirational fans, I did indeed finish the Boston Marathon. My friend Keila (in the red jacket below) also gutted it out and ran really well.
My final stats are as follows:
Time - 3:20:31
Average Pace Per Mile - 7:39
Overall Place - 4778
Overall Female Place - 494
It was awesome to have my parents and friends with me this weekend, and I am so glad that they were able to watch me race. Thanks to those who supported me!
No worries, I am fairly positive you will never have to do so again...
10 comments:
I am SOOOO beyond proud of you! Not only do I think you're amazing for running Boston, but you are looking really good these days! So healthy and happy - your eyes are GLOWING! I'm so excited to see you again!
LOVE YOU! You rock my world! CONGRATS!
I just wanted to echo Marissa's thought on such an achievement. This is so inspiring and amazing. I am glad you shared the pictures and thoughts.
Congratulations!
Quebes! You are awesome! Nice job.
You are so amazing!!!!!!! That is something I could never do and it takes lots of determination, which you have!!! I wish I could have been there to cheer you on, but it sounds like there were plenty of cheerleaders for all the runners. I am sure you will do it again because the run is in your blood and now that you have done it once it will become an addiction.
Congrats!!!!!
Love Tons
OH. MY. GOSH. Quebe. You are amazing. That is absolutely insane! You are an all-star. I wish I could run a marathon. I don't know if I'll ever get there. You are a champ. And PS Your parents look great! Tell your mom she looks fabulous. I miss the Quebes!
You don't know me but I saw your post on tenadventures blog and I had to say that I was there cheering everyone on at mile 17 (I live here) so I probably yelled for you. Great job!
Wow, I am truly amazed! I had to smile when you said this was only your 2nd marathon....I'm still working up towards my first 5k :). Congrats!
Yay for Carolyn! So proud!
I was very entertained by your crying story - I imagine everyone else was crying over aches and pains.
ohmygosh.... I didn't even know you were training! That's incredible! I've always thought it would be a cool experience to do Boston. You've confirmed that. I love how you just post about the positive parts... not the excruciatingly painful miles of miles... or maybe it wasn't that bad for ya? Obviously by your great final time - you were feeling good!
Never again? C'mon, Boston is fun. And it really is a holiday. But apparently we're the only place that celebrates Patriot's Day (cue the Battle of Lexington).
Post a Comment